Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Harmony Labs
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 04:25:02
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Old Navy’s 50% off Cyber Sale Is Here! Score Cute Summer Tops, Dresses & More Starting at $9.99
- Signs of trouble at Trump rally were evident in minutes before gunman opened fire
- Fresno State football coach Jeff Tedford steps down due to health concerns
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Boston lawyer once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ is sentenced to 5-10 years for raping 21-year-old
- As a Nevada Community Fights a Lithium Mine, a Rare Fish and Its Haven Could Be an Ace in the Hole
- Blue-collar steel town tries to dig out from day of infamy after Trump shooting
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Texas governor criticizes Houston energy as utility says power will be restored by Wednesday
Ranking
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- Charlize Theron Shares Rare Insight Into Bond With Firecracker Kids Jackson and August
- Miami mayor outraged by Copa America disaster at Hard Rock Stadium, joins calls for change
- Stranger Things Season 5's First Look Will Turn You Upside Down
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- FACT FOCUS: A look at false claims around the assassination attempt on former President Trump
- Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024 Deals That Are Sure To Sell Out: Shop Le Creuset, UGG, Longchamp & More
- At the Trump rally, it was evening sun, songs and blue sky. Then came bullets, screams and blood
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Powell says Federal Reserve is more confident inflation is slowing to its target
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Hezly Rivera Shares What It's Really Like to Be the New Girl on the Women's Team
Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin delivers emotional tribute to father at SEC media days
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
MLB power rankings: All-Star break arrives with new life for Red Sox, Mets and Astros
Real Housewives Star Porsha Williams’ Revenge Body Fashion Includes a $35 Bikini She Recommends for Moms
Katy Perry defends new song 'Woman's World' as 'satire' amid terrible reviews